ROASTED HALF CHICKEN with Figs, Lemon Butter and Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes
Adapted from West Coast Prime Meats Cooks © 2015
- Two half chickens, deboned
- Half a sprig of rosemary, leaves only
- Six sprigs cilantro
- Three garlic cloves, peeled
- Two tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Two teaspoons salt
- Quarter-teaspoon pepper
- Blend all ingredients except the chicken in a blender jar until smooth.
- Place the chickens in a Ziploc bag, pour the marinade over the chickens and refrigerate at least three hours but preferably overnight.
- Eight dried figs
- One cup red wine
- Four tablespoons brown sugar
Slowly simmer all three ingredients for 30 minutes; set aside.
- Two whole bulbs of garlic, top quarter-inch sliced off and excess outside skin removed
- Two tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the garlic bulbs in a small baking dish, drizzle with the olive oil and roast for about 30 minutes or until the garlic is tender and caramelized. Set aside.
Lemon Butter Sauce
- Two tablespoons lemon juice
- Four ounces (eight tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut in one-inch cubes
- Quarter-teaspoon salt
- Place a small saucepan over medium high heat, add the lemon juice and reduce by half.
- Whisk the butter in vigorously to incorporate. Season with salt to taste.
Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- Two large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut in one-inch cubes
- Two ounces goat cheese
- Two ounces heavy cream
- One ounce (two tablespoons) butter
- One and a half teaspoons salt
- Pepper mill
- Place the potatoes in a small sauce pot, cover with cold tap water and a teaspoon of the salt and cook over medium heat for approximately 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- In a separate pan, bring the butter and cream to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Drain the water from the potato, fold the butter and cream into the potato and mix in the goat cheese, making sure to keep some chunkiness to the potato. Season with the remaining salt and two twists of the pepper mill. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Two marinated half chickens (see instructions)
- One tablespoon blended olive oil
- One recipe Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- One recipe Wine-Poached Figs
- One recipe Roasted Garlic
- One recipe Lemon Butter Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the chickens from the refrigerator, take them out of the marinade and allow them to sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil over medium-high flame in an ovenproof skillet large enough to hold both chickens.
- Place the chickens skin-side-down in the pan and sauté for about three minutes.
- When the skin has a nice golden color, transfer the pan to the preheated oven and roast for about 12 minutes more, or until an instant-read thermometer reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Divide the mashed potatoes between two warm plates. Split the figs and arrange them, along with the roasted garlic bulbs, next to the potatoes. Lay the chicken on top of the potato, spoon the sauce over the dish and serve immediately.
Copyright © 2015 by Amy and Craig Nickoloff and West Coast Prime Meats
Recipes reprinted with permission of the owners.
The landscape of Pasadena dining has changed considerably since 1984, when Bob and Gregg Smith opened Parkway Grill...